Depression can be debilitating and put great strain on both the individual, their families and those around them. Depression is more than just feeling a little low in mood and down, it is when you experience a low mood for a significant amount of time and you feel that you cannot “just snap out of it”. It makes it difficult to carry out normal day to day tasks.
Signs that you may be feeling depressed can include:
- Feeling worthless
- Tearful and worried
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Feeling irritable and less tolerant of others that can lead to guilt and shame
- No motivation and loss of interest in things you used to enjoy
- There may be problems around sleep and eating patterns of too much or not enough
- Withdrawal that can lead to isolation
- Sickness absence from work
It may be that you are not sure if you are depressed and this can seem more likely if depression has developed over a significant time. Often it can be more noticeable to others you are acting out of character. It can start from reoccurring negative thoughts that lead to sadness hopelessness and despair.